Spring Show, class 38
- 250g (9oz) plain flour 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarb. of soda
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 125g (4oz) butter, cut into small chunks
- 100g (3.5oz) light muscovado sugar
- 250g (9oz) mixed dried fruit
- 150ml (1⁄4pt) milk
- 150g ready-made marzipan
- 1tbsp apricot jam
Time needed: 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven
- Prepare a Loaf Tin
Grease and line a 1kg (2lb 4oz) loaf tin with non-stick
- Mix dry ingredients & Butter
Sift flour, baking powder, bicarb. of soda and mixed spice into large bowl, add
butter and rub until resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add some Sugar
Stir in sugar and dried fruit, add milk
and mix to soft consistency.
- Tip into Tin
Spoon half into tin, pull off chunks of marzipan and make a
layer but not right to the edges, spoon over rest of mixture, smooth the surface.
For 1 hour until risen and firm to touch.
Cover with foil for last 15 mins if needed.
- Cool in tin for 10 mins
then run palette knife round edge and cool on wire rack.
- Heat jam with 1tbsp of water until boiling
brush glaze over warm loaf.
- Leave to cool.