Show Secretaries Corner:
At the time of writing this we are in the middle of a heatwave, with the hottest days of the year expected very soon, it has been quite a while since any rain fell and the gardens are in dire need of it, having said that we had a lovely Summer Show in July our visitors were able to see a colourful array of Flowers, Vegetables, Floral Art, Cookery, Photography, Craft and Children’s entries. We welcomed some new exhibitors and helped them to display the items that had been grown or made.
Read more: News from the Compost Heap – Summer 2022
Our next Show is the Autumn Show which takes place on Saturday 17th September at River Village Hall, Common Lane, River. We are looking for more adults and children to exhibit, if you can bake we have Cookery Classes for you:-
Easy Malt Loaf (using this recipe)
- 350g (12oz) self-raising flour 1
- 70g (6oz) currants
- 60g (2oz) sultanas
- 30g (1oz) sugar
- 30g (1oz) dark brown sugar
- 2½ tbsp Oval tine
- 4tbsp golden syrup
- pinch of salt
- 300ml (½ pt) milk
Preheat oven 325F/160C/gas 3
Grease and line a 1kg (2lb 4oz) loaf tin. Sieve flour into bowl, add dry ingredients and mix. Slightly warm milk & syrup together, add to dry ingredients. Mix batter well & pour into tin. Bake on preheated baking sheet for 1-1½ hrs. Place on cooling rack, leave to cool. Ease sides with flat bladed knife & loaf should tap out.
5 Halloween Decorated Fairy Cakes
- 3 Pieces Bread Pudding (use own recipe)
- Small Wholemeal Loaf – using 500g Dough
- Soft Fruit Jam – Approx. 500g Jar
- Stone Fruit Jam – Approx. 500g Jar
- Jar Jelly – (small)
- Jar Pickles
- Jar Chutney (matured)
- Bottle of Home-made Cordial – Approx 750mls in clear glass bottle
- All Bottles and Jars must be clear, clean glass
Attach a plain stick-on label to container with name of contents & date of preserving. Entries must comply with the recipe – if given.
You can enter as many of these classes as you like, but only one entry in each class per person.
If you like arranging flowers, we have Floral Art classes you could enter:-
- Beginners:- An Arrangement in a Wine Glass
- “Halloween” – An exhibit, up to 75cm wide
- An Arrangement using Foliage, Grasses & Berries, up to 75cm wide
Young Peoples Entries
For our younger members of our Village, we have classes for you, prize money is given to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places.
- 7 years and under – A4 Collage using leaves, seeds and flowers etc
- 8 to 15 years –A Hat for Halloween OR A4 Collage of a Spider in its web
- Up to 15 years – Largest Sunflower Head
- Up to 15 years – Photography “ Halloween”
- Up to 15 years – Photography “Its a Bugs Life”
It is FREE to enter any of the above classes, simply fill in the online form at:- rivergardeners.com/entry-form by 9pm on 14th September or email me firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know which classes you would like to enter or if you have any questions.
Dates for your Diary, 2022:
- Deadline to enter Autumn Show – 14 September @21:00
- Autumn Show – 17 September (Kings Seeds catalogues available, discounts on all orders)
- Swap Shop – 25 September @ 14:30
- AGM, Afternoon Tea & 2023 Schedule Launch– 08 October @ 14:00
- Christmas Afternoon Tea – 03 December @ 14:00 – 16:00
We are always keen to welcome new volunteers onto our friendly Committee. There are a number of defined roles (Secretary, Catering Officer, Committee Member) within the committee, but also the opportunity to just be a part of the team as a general committee member.
Minimal free time is required as we only meet about six times per year (currently virtual) as well as show days and any special events we run.
Find out more here: https://rivergardeners.com/volunteering-on-our-committee/ or email: email@example.com